Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Walking home- 2 am

Looking across the valley at night from the foothills, I cannot see a single green light. It's as though the streets are filled with only stop lights, and the only way to get somewhere is to just take the chance and hope the police will understand.

It's nearly two AM and there are still so many cars. I watch them racing amid the grid of lights that block out the stars. The man-made nEoN colors promote different things from good sales! to clean getaway roads and I can't help but hurt a little at the thought of humans scuttling from one thing to the next; I know I shouldn't pretend each car really lives in the ultimatum that I see, but at 1:46 nothing is especially logical. They all look like frantic ants (except ants will probably never so completely cover the earth with cold steel and fast-food restaurants) Stock-piling everything because Everything is so IMPORTANT. Which is stupid because In the end... these things are only there because we put them there...Right?
Or are they?
Why wouldn't women dream of fancy clothes, even without the guidance of T.V. adds and fashion models? And just because I never made a highway, doesn't mean I don't search for an escape..
So on we drive, dreaming of sanctuary.
Traveling minutes to miles searching for our next release and our chance to feel like things are OK.
Too many will fall to vain promises. Clawing and crying for the damnation of their choosing, ignorant of their demise until it's far too late. It may be your neighbor, your sister, your old elementary teacher. Regardless, they will be punished in their own way for losing sight withOut you taking the judgment seat.
So if you learn nothing else from the lights this night, at least learn to mourn for those who did not see the stars above their electric dreams.
Learn to pray for those seeking quick fixes and the over-advertised paths.
Because that man over there getting strapped in a chair once thought he could make it, just like you. That woman talking on her cell phone and cut you off on the road once had an honest smile that shined so bright.
We all get lost sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh.
    This was so so well written. I need to send this to my friend, seriously.
    I agree with everything. People rush through life without ever stopping to think about where they're actually heading.

    ReplyDelete