Monday, July 12, 2010

New week! New world!

I've got a Fun brain toy today, something that came to mind a little while ago. Maybe I'll even explain it correctly(?) :P

SO. In childhood, you remember your mom telling you to "Sit in the corner!!"? Do you remember how L O N G you had to sit there? Five whole minutes!? It felt like hours! When you were finally free you would promise yourself never to end up back there again, and you buried that lighter, ensuring that you COULDN'T light the cat on fire even if you wanted to(..k maybe that last bit was just me)
How long would five minutes in the corner feel to you now?

Some Scientists believe the first years of our lives is our "Open Minded" state. A dream state where our eyes are wide and everything we see is new and educational. I submit that because our brains had constant input, we were always in the moment. And TIME TOOK FOREVER.
A minute was an hour, an hour was a WHOLE DAY, a day was a week and a week was a month.

You finally come to school age. Routine, I think, is what changes us. We went to school, saw the same things, the same people, and Most of us ignored what new things we might have learned :P
No I kid. BUT the point still remains. Over time our brains begin to dismiss things as "already analyzed". Time picked up it's pace because we stopped paying attention to it. Many of us begged it to go faster, finding that catatonic states are a form of release.
As time continues we teach ourselves to recognize things we already understand. ...Usually exaggerating a little bit here and there.
A minute becomes.. thirty seconds, an hour is only half an hour, a day doesn't feel that long.

Now, obviously this lesson is magnified to show detail. Even if we sat in a barrel for our entire life, Our brains would continue finding input to chew on om nom nom..
But as people decide they know more, we lose more.

In old age, life becomes a dream again, but in the opposite direction. Instead of learning, we are forgetting.
And a day becomes a second, a week becomes a minute, a month, an hour, a year a day.

The bible tells of Adam living for Nine Hundred years. I wonder... maybe this is because there was so much work to be done, so much to learn, so much to experience?

But of course, My previous words would only touch on eternal Life. Eternal Youth is a different story.

Stress. Anxiety and fear. Lol but I don't know enough to work on that yet.

Here's a funny picture!!

1 comment:

  1. I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN!!!
    Not only is it important for us to keep wanting to learn and have that child-like curiosity and wonder, but I also think it's important for us to... balance ourselves?...
    I'll try to explain--
    As a kid I could always just LOOK at something. I would look over every detail for hours and hours at a time (in reality it was just for a few minutes)
    Like a dog. I used to play with the dog and I'd notice how their ears perk up when they hear a noise and the HUNDREDS (multiple) different colors of single hairs the dog had. How it walked, how it ran, how it used it's tail! I studied that one dog and I got so much out of it.
    Today we try to do so many things because our attention spans are WORSE THAN CHILDREN'S!!!! We can't even look at a beautiful work or art for more than a few minutes without getting bored and wanting to see what's NEW. We try to do TOO MANY THINGS and because of that time speeds up.
    I don’t mean we need to study one thing for hours, I’m trying to say that we need to stop trying so hard to try to get of see the next newest thing. We begin to EXPECT the next newest thing and soon we’re not only never satisfied with the things we have, but can never stick with something, because something new will be coming out in only a few months.
    I’m not sure if that made any sense… but…
    THOSE IS STUFF I SAY!

    ReplyDelete